A tiny smear of lip gloss on your clothes is difficult to remove. Luckily, there are techniques on how to get lip gloss out of clothes.
You don’t need to spend money since the items you need are available inside your home. Also, the steps are so easy to follow.
Rubbing ammonia to the stained area
With a small amount of ammonia, you can remove the stubborn lipstick stain on your clothes. However, be careful in using this strong chemical. As much as possible, wear a pair of gloves and a face mask as a precautionary measure.
Here’s how to do it
- In a bowl of water, pour a small amount of ammonia
- Dab a cotton ball to the solution
- Rub the cotton starting outside the lip gloss stain moving inward
- Continue rubbing the stain until you have successfully removed it
- Wash the clothes as usual
If the cotton ball has absorbed too much stain, use a new one immediately. It will take two to three cotton balls to eradicate the lip gloss stains.
Pouring a small amount of liquid detergent
Liquid detergent can do some wonders in removing stains, including lip gloss. If you don’t have available liquid detergent, you can also use shampoo as an alternative.
But make sure that it has no bleaching properties since it may damage your colored clothes.
Here are the steps to follow
- Scrape off the excess lip gloss using a knife with a dull edge
- Put lukewarm water on the stain using an eyedropper or a small cup
- Pour a small amount of liquid detergent into the stained area
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes
- Dab the affected area with a cotton ball or a thin cloth to remove the remaining stains
- Rinse the garment in a warm water
- Wash the fabric as usual
Wiping the affected area with a rubbing alcohol
Aside from lip gloss stain, rubbing alcohol can also get rid of stubborn stains. Some of these are blueberry stains, deodorant stains, and oil stains. This home product can also remove lip gloss stain, even on polyester fabric.
Here’s how to do it
- Get rid of solid lip gloss stains by lifting them with a credit card or a knife
- Pour rubbing alcohol in a small bowl
- Soak a thin cloth in the bowl
- Blot the lip gloss stain with the thin cloth
- Wash the garment using a boiling water
- Air-dry the garment
As a warning, never rub the alcohol in the garment. It will push the stain deeper into the thread of the fabric, making it more difficult to remove. Instead of rubbing, blot the affected area until all the stains have been removed.
Applying with hairspray
Surprisingly, hairspray is also effective in removing lip gloss stains. Choose the older version of hairsprays since they have more alcohol content. The alcohol is responsible for breaking down the stains. If you don’t have any hairspray, you can also use baby wipes.
This is how you get rid of lip gloss stain using hairspray
- Get rid of solid lip gloss stains by lifting them with your credit card
- Spray the hairspray to the affected area
- Leave it for ten to fifteen minutes
- Soak a clean thin cloth to the warm water
- Dab the affected area with the thin cloth until you have removed the stains
- Launder the garment as you usually would
Using a laundry detergent
With the proper technique, your laundry detergent can eliminate lip gloss stains. Breaking down the oils and thickeners in the lip gloss will make it easier for you to remove it. Use detergents that have enough enzymes to fight grease.
You can do this technique with these simple steps
- Lay the stained area of the garment to a flat surface
- Using a knife with a blunt edge, scrape the excess solid stains
- Pre-treat the fabric by soaking it in a basin with water and laundry detergent
- Rub off the lip gloss stain using a soft-bristled brush or your fingers
- Leave the material for 30 minutes
- Launder the garment with hot water
- Air dry your clothing
If there are remaining stains after you have washed your clothes, repeat the process. You can also throw the garment on the dryer as long as it is free from lip gloss stain. But make sure that your dryer is in the lowest heat setting.
Dabbing off with acetone and other home products
Combining acetone with other home products can remove the lip gloss stain. It helps eliminate lip gloss stains that have already been set in your clothes. If your garment has acetate, then don’t do this method.
You can try this method through this
- Put rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth and dab it on the affected area
- Spritz the affected area with hairspray and leave it for 15 minutes
- Get a cloth soaked in warm water and dab it on the stain
- Pour acetone into the stain
- Rub off the stain using an old toothbrush
- Rinse the stained area with rubbing alcohol
- Apply a dishwashing soap to the affected area
- Brush it with petroleum jelly using a cloth or an old toothbrush
- Put liquid glycerin and leave it for 30 minutes
- Treat the stain with ammonia to completely disappear
Making a lemon juice and baking soda paste
Another method that can help you is making lemon juice and baking soda paste. This mixture effectively removes lip gloss stains, even the old ones. The acidity of lemon helps in breaking down the stains.
This method is pretty simple
- Create a paste by combining one tablespoon of baking soda and one tablespoon of lemon juice in a small bowl
- Put the paste on the stained area
- Let it sit for 30 minutes
- Do your laundry as usual without removing the paste
- Dry the garment under the sun for better results
Squeezing shaving cream on the stained area
Shaving cream helps cut through the oil, one of the main components of a lip gloss. Aside from that, its soapy formula helps get rid of a stubborn lip gloss stain. It is adequate for pre-washing stained garments.
If you want to try this method, this is what you need to do
- Spread a small amount of shaving cream to the affected area
- Using a clean cloth, blot up the stain
- Leave for about 30 minutes, giving it some time to sit
- Do your laundry as usual
Before putting your garment on the dryer, ensure that the stain has been removed. If not, repeat the procedure until you have successfully gotten rid of all the stains.
Putting with baby powder or chalk
If it is a fresh lip gloss stain, you can use baby powder or chalk. You can make your pre-treatment using white vinegar and water for better results.
Try these steps
- Remove excess wax by scraping it with a butter knife or a spoon
- Put the baby powder or the chalk directly into the stain
- Gently rub the powder to the affected area
- Keep on putting the powder until you notice that it stopped forming into balls
- Pre-treat the garment by applying white vinegar and water or dish soap to the affected area
- Leave it for half an hour or overnight
- Wash the garment and do your laundry as usual
Usually, the powder will form into small balls after absorbing the oil. You don’t have to worry if you notice that it is not clumping into balls. Wait, because the powder is in the process of absorbing the oil.
Spreading peanut butter
Aside from adding taste to your bread, peanut butter can also remove lip gloss stains. The natural oils it contains help in dissolving the components of the stains.
Here’s how to do it
- Put a spread of peanut butter to the stained area
- Leave it for about 30 minutes until the peanut butter is dry
- Rinse the garment with warm water mixed with dishwashing soap
- Keep on repeating this procedure until the stains disappear
Rubbing some salt
Combining salt with vinegar makes it more effective as a stain remover. But take note that this method only works for fresh stains. If you are dealing with old lip gloss stains, you can try other methods above.
Do these steps to get rid of fresh lip gloss stains
- Create a paste by combining salt and vinegar
- Directly rub the paste on the affected area
- Leave for about 15 minutes
- Use a damp cloth to wipe away the paste from the garment
- Apply the paste again and leave for 20 minutes if the stain remains
Discovering lip gloss stains in your clothes may cause you frustration. Before throwing your stained clothes, try these methods on how to get lip gloss out of clothes.
You will not only save your clothing, but you will also save money. Choose the technique that will work best for you.