One of the struggles faced by first-time parents is how to get poop out of clothes. This is normal, especially when you always prefer to use cloth diapers instead of disposable ones. And besides, using cloth diapers for your baby is good because you let their skin breathe and prevent skin rashes.
4 Tips before removing the poop stain
First-time parents will automatically panic whenever their baby starts pooping, especially if the baby is wearing a cloth diaper. The first thing that will come to the parent’s minds is that they will have a hard time dealing with a cloth diaper that has poop stains, again and again.
Regardless of whether it is an animal or a human waste, it is still a primary source of germs. It can transmit any kind of disease if you do not know how to handle this well. Make sure to take precautions when dealing with poop-stained clothes.
Ensure that you do not forget to prepare these things when cleaning and before you start removing the stain off the fabric:
Make sure to wear gloves
Whether it is human waste or animal waste, make sure that when you get rid of poop out of clothes and cloth diapers, use cleaning gloves. It does not matter what type of glove it is as long as you have protection for your hands to prevent contamination and spreading of germs.
Have a disposable plastic bag nearby
Have at least one or two disposable plastic bags nearby. Make sure that you separate the stained garment to avoid contaminating other dirty clothes.
Regular Laundry Detergent
Regardless of which cleaning method you have chosen to follow, they all have the same final process: to launder the stained garment to make sure that it is spotless. Use a laundry detergent, whichever brand do you prefer, to keep it clean and smell good.
Clean Rags, Paper Towels, or Soft Bristled Brush
Although this is optional because it depends on what cleaning method you are going to use. These will help you thoroughly get rid of the stubborn poop stain off the clothes.
5 Household remedies how to get rid of poop stains
Get rid of poop stains using White Vinegar
White Vinegar really serves its purpose. It is not only used for cooking, but you can also utilize it by using it to deal with poop stains. It is well known for being a home remedy ingredient.
It is verified, tried, and tested as one of the best sources to get rid of any kind of stains and messes.
Make sure that you follow these steps on how to get rid of poop stains using white Vinegar:
- Dilute a tablespoon of white Vinegar by mixing with a half cup of water in a spray bottle. You can dilute it by shaking the spray bottle well.
- Spray the white vinegar and water solution onto the affected area and let it stay for at least 5 up to 10 minutes to absorb it fully.
- After soaking, you may start scrubbing the garment to remove the poop stain thoroughly.
- Please avoid using the washing machine and hand wash it instead with a laundry detergent.
- Rinse thoroughly and hang it to dry.
Get rid of poop stains using Dishwashing Liquid and White Vinegar
As the name implies, dishwashing liquid is often used to wash the dishes such as kitchen utensils, pans, glasses, bowls, and alike.
However, not everyone knows that this is also an excellent remedy to remove poop stains from clothes. Though, the Dishwashing liquid works well when combined with white Vinegar.
Make sure that you follow these steps on how to get rid of poop stains using Dishwashing Liquid and White Vinegar:
- Create a solution by mixing one spoonful of White Vinegar and a half tablespoonful of a dishwashing liquid. Dilute these two ingredients in two cups of warm water.
- Make use of any sponge to drench the mixture to dampen the affected area. And leave it to rest for a few minutes.
- Use a clean white cloth or a paper towel to absorb the stain that has been soaked with the solution.
- Once there are no more poop stains visible, you may finish the process by hand washing the garment.
- After washing and thoroughly rinsing the garment, you can let it spin in a tumble dryer or hang it to dry.
Get rid of poop stains using Hydrogen Peroxide and Ammonia
Hydrogen Peroxide is not only used to treat your fresh wounds. This is also a good home remedy to treat any stains, and its properties become stronger and better when combined with Ammonia.
These two work well together, especially when dealing with stubborn stains such as poop stains that are challenging to remove.
Make sure that you follow these steps on how to get rid of poop stains using Hydrogen Peroxide and Ammonia:
- Prepare an eyedropper or any dropper available as it is essential for this method to achieve excellent results.
- Using the eyedropper, drop some ample amount of hydrogen peroxide and at least two drops of Ammonia onto the affected area. Let it sit for a little while.
- Do the sponge and blot process in this method. Using the sponge, drench some cold water onto the stained area, and then quickly blot using a clean cloth or a paper towel to absorb the stain.
- Finish the process by laundering the garment. Handwashing is preferred.
- Rinse, and then hang the garment until it completely dries.
Get rid of poop stains using Baking Soda
We cannot deny the fact that baking soda has always been part of the list of household remedies. It is also considered to be good at removing any kinds of stains, including the poop stain on your clothes. This works best when you also use a soft-bristled brush or a toothbrush.
Make sure that you follow these steps on how to get rid of poop stains using Baking Soda:
- Regardless of whether the poop stain is still wet or has dried already, make sure to remove the excess poop stain with cold water. It is better to use running water to provide pressure.
- Splash an ample amount of baking soda onto the stained area and let it soak for a little while.
- Once the stained fabric absorbs the baking soda, begin scrubbing the affected area using your soft-bristled brush. Scrub it gently to avoid damaging the fabric.
- Once you have completely removed the poop stains, hand wash it, as usual, using a laundry detergent.
- Rinse the garment after laundering and hang the garment to dry.
Get rid of poop stains using Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is also good at removing any kind of stain, mainly clothes stains such as poop stains.
Make sure that you follow these steps on how to get rid of poop stains using Lemon Juice:
- Sprinkle a generous amount of lemon juice onto the poop-stained area. Let it rest for a few minutes up to half an hour to absorb the lemon juice.
- Start scrubbing the affected area using a soft-bristled toothbrush once the fabric has absorbed the lemon juice and is already soaked.
- Once you have removed the excess until little to no visible poop stain, you may launder the garment using a laundry detergent.
- We recommend that you hand wash the stained fabric to avoid spreading poop residues onto the other garments included in the cycle.
- Rinse thoroughly and hang the garment until it completely dries.
Are there any germs in poop?
We have already mentioned and established that regardless of whether it is human waste or animal waste, it is considered one of the primary sources of germs.
You must be aware of how some diseases are transmitted through poop or stool. Thus, you must be able to clean the poop-stained fabrics thoroughly to avoid any health issues.
Comprehensive cleaning of a poop-stained fabric also means that you are disinfecting it. Hence, kill the germs that may spread the virus.
If in case you come in contact with feces that has been infected, these are the potential diseases you may experience:
- Coxsackie Virus
- Hepatitis A
- Typhoid Fever
That is why it is always necessary to have clean clothes, especially when stained with poop. Having clean clothes will help you improve your health as it limits the transmission of such illnesses.
Animal feces are not an exemption, though. You also have to watch out for animal feces that might contaminate your food or belongings that can transmit illnesses to your household, such as E. Coli, Campylobacter, and alike.
Watch the short video below to learn more about a poop
Why it is not recommended to put poop-stained clothes in the washing machine?
Though no one is actually stopping you from doing so, it is highly recommended to hand wash poop-stained fabrics instead. This is to avoid spreading out poop residue to the other clothes that are included in the cycle.
Laundering affected fabrics make them more hygienic and sanitary as it will also prevent potential health concerns due to contamination.
Watch the tutorial on how to make DIY cloth diaper soaker through the link below:
Getting poop stains on your baby’s cloth diaper multiple times a day is inevitable. Do not worry as there are a lot of ways on how to get the poop out of clothes. Although it can be tedious to clean up, at least you are able to contribute to saving the environment.
Transform an old t-shirt into a cloth diaper by watching the tutorial below