Makeup has been existent for a long time now and is used by a lot of people for various occasions. And so, it is not impossible to encounter problems with makeup smashing and smearing on your clothes. In cases like these, one must know how to get makeup out of clothes.
A Closer Look at the World of Makeup
When you hear the word makeup, it’s not a single entity or a lone concept. It is a composition, a combination of various things. It’s different things put together to express something.
It’s a form of art expressed through your body, typically your face. In a makeup look, there can be various components involved depending on the preference of the artist or the request of the client.
Just like painting, makeup can be almost anything. However, in this field, there are also the existing “basics”; things that serve as the base or simply the more essential things.
These key things can be non-negotiable or fixed depending on the makeup artist. Makeup is a form of expression and so it also puts emphasis on preference and a person’s freedom to choose and be as creative as they can. The basics can vary from person to person, but the typical necessities when doing your makeup are as follows.
As the term itself suggests, it serves as the base. Before applying anything else, the foundation goes first to help in making the skin complexion appear fair. This way, it’s easier to apply the remaining makeup products. Foundation can also be used to conceal blemishes and flaws, as well as to change the natural skin tone.
Foundations are made up of three basic groups of ingredients, namely: colorants, fillers, and moisturizers.
Lipsticks come in various colors that can accommodate almost everybody’s preference. The main purpose of wearing lipstick is to define the lips, give it protection, as well as protect it. Lipsticks are composed of three main ingredients, namely wax, pigment, and oil.
The wax is responsible for the lipstick’s shape and form while the pigment is responsible for its color. The oil is the component that intensifies the color. Meaning, the more oil, the more intense the color will be.
Mascara is typically used for emphasis. This cosmetic product is used to emphasize the eyelashes and make them appear longer, thicker, and fuller. Mascaras are usually made up of iron oxide, metallic pigment, triethanolamine, wax, polymers, and preservatives.
The basic purpose of a blush is to add a glow or a flush of color to your cheeks. It mimics a natural reaction of the face whenever embarrassed or exposed to heat. Most blushes are made up of FDA-approved colorants.
The number of pigments or colors can vary, but the typical number ranges from three to four. Creators then add fillers like talc and stearic (a fatty acid) that help in diluting the pigments so that they are more natural and won’t appear too bright or too clown-ish.
This cosmetic product is applied on the eyelids to give a pop of color and emphasis. Eyeshadow comes with a variety of colors and styles. Eyeshadows typically contain talc and mica as fillers, zinc stearate or kaolin clay as binders that hold the formula together and help it stick to your skin.
Getting Makeup Out of Clothes Quickly
Getting makeup on your clothes can be quite common for people who like to put on makeup or if they are around people who wear makeup. It could be a hassle when you experience smearing some on your clothes and you try to get it off.
While there are many things you could do, the most important thing to note is time. When makeup gets smeared on your clothes, you should act fast and quickly. Leaving the makeup smudged on your clothes longer can result in more difficulty in the removal process.
It’s also important to note and make sure you don’t act rashly as it can smudge the makeup further into the fabric, causing even more damage. Calm down and pick a method to go with before doing anything.
Makeup wipes are useful not only for removing makeup from your face, but also for removing makeup stains from clothing. This is a quick fix that is the go-to for people who need to get rid of the stain quickly, and most probably not as thoroughly.
This technique is often used in the modeling field, backstage where quick fixes are a norm. However, this method is only very effective when the stain is fresh and new. In short, time is an important factor. This method works well with cotton, but you need to test the fabric’s reaction to it first to make sure it won’t react negatively.
Ice is also an effective way of getting makeup stains out of your clothes quickly. All you need to do is to get an ice cube or two and rub it on the area.
Rubbing alcohol is not only effective in disinfecting, but also in lipstick stain removal! You need to prepare a cotton ball or a washcloth and soak its tip with alcohol before rubbing it on the stain. Alcohol is good at breaking and cutting down oil, so it works well in removing lipstick stains.
Getting Foundation Out of Clothes
Foundations come in two varieties: liquid and powder. Therefore, one method does not fit all as it may not work as well as the other.
In removing liquid foundation, you would need to prepare the following things:
- Liquid laundry detergent
- Dish detergent
- paper towel or a clean cloth.
- The first thing to do would be to remove the excess foundation on the surface of the clothes using a tissue or a towel. Remember to avoid rubbing the foundation deeper into the fabric, just blot.
- The next step is to rinse the garment in warm water to dilute, soften and remove primary foundation stains.
- Pre-treat with liquid laundry detergent. Use a soft brush or cloth to help the detergent do its work and let it soak and sit for 20 minutes.
- Sometimes, foundations can be a bit more oily and greasy, and so, using a dish detergent may be best.
- After letting it sit for 20 minutes, just place your clothes into the washer like you normally do.
- Warmer water helps in softening and breaking up the stain. As a result, it would be beneficial for you to determine how warm your clothing can withstand.
Powder foundation has looser particles, so you need extra care when blotting and removing the remaining surface stain. You will need a clean cloth or a towel, liquid laundry detergent, and water.
- Upon locating the stained area, try to shake the remaining powder off and be careful not to push and spread more foundation into the clothes.
- Now reverse the clothes so that the back of the stain will be the surface on which you will run warm water through. This way, more excess stains will be removed. The higher the pressure, the better, as a stronger force will be able to effectively wash off some or the majority of the stain.
- Pretreat the stain with your prepared liquid laundry detergent. Rub and work a soft brush to massage the stain and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Place it in the washer and wash as you normally would.
Getting Lipstick Stains Off Clothes
Lipstick stains are more complicated to manage as lipsticks are usually oil-based. In this situation you will need quite a handful of things as follows:
- a fresh cloth
- Dish soap
- Liquid laundry detergent
- a spoon, a dull knife
- Stain remover
- Using the spoon or blunt knife, scoop and blot off the excess on the garment. For heavier lipstick stains, it’s recommended that you place the garment in the refrigerator first for 20 minutes. After this, you can scoop and blot the excess stain.
- Place a dry cloth on top of the stain.
- Apply some dish detergent on a damp cloth.
- Dab the back of the stain with it. To avoid re-transferring the stain on the garment, dab with a clean part of the cloth in each dab.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Pretreat with the liquid laundry detergent you have on standby. Rub with a soft brush or cloth and then let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Wash as you normally do.
Getting Mascara and Eyeliner Stains Out of Clothes
The things you will need to remove mascara and eyeliner stains are as follows:
- Liquid laundry detergent
- a fresh cloth
- Makeup remover
- Soft bristle
- Stain remover
- Pretreat the stain with the detergent. Cover the stain with detergent and use the soft brush to help work it into the garment.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the stain with hot water.
- Check the care label and determine the warmest temperature your clothes can withstand and wash them at that temperature.
Knowing how to get makeup out of clothes is very useful, especially for people who encounter these elements on a daily basis. No matter what material, knowing this information and easy hacks will avoid your goodbyes to every article of clothing that gets stained or might get stained in the future.